A coffee table is a versatile piece of furniture that should never be overlooked. It provides you with all the surface space you need for serving snacks and drinks to guests. It also allows you to have a permanent place for your remote control and favorite magazines. More importantly, your coffee table is important to your sofa the way Chewbacca is to Hans Solo. They’re partners. And it only stands to reason that you make sure that you do your part in finding your sofa’s perfect partner. If you’re not ready to trust your design instincts, we’ve got some tips that should help you figure out what to choose.
What size works for you?
When it comes to your coffee table, size matters. A lot. It’s important due to several reasons. The size of your coffee table will help determine how much space it will occupy which also enables you to measure how much space there is to move around it. The size is also important because it needs to be in proportion to the existing furniture in the room, specifically your sofa. If the scale and proportion are both off, then it’ll throw off the entire balance in the room. Moreover, size will help determine how much surface space you have available to fulfill your needs.
So, what size should you get? Experts recommend that the length of your table should be no more than two-thirds of the length of your sofa. The height should be equal to the seat of your sofa. It can be an inch or two lower if you want to have a more laid back feel in the room. A taller one, however, only works if you are getting a round coffee table. As for width, make sure that there’s around 12 to 18 inches of space between any existing furniture and your table. That will enable you to comfortably walk around the coffee table without banging your knee on anything. But keep in mind that anyone sitting on the sofa should also still be able to easily place their drink, food, or phone on top of the table.
Will a square shaped coffee table work for you?
Square coffee tables look good if you have sectional sofas in your living room. They also work well in smaller rooms or when you have a seating arrangement that’s square-like. However, they are not ideal if you have a long sofa because not everyone may be able to reach the table while seated.
What material should you choose?
There are a variety of materials that you can choose from. Metal and stone (e.g. marble, granite) are great options if you want to choose something really durable. However, they aren’t ideal if you have kids around since the sharp edges can cause injuries. In addition, stone is quite difficult to move around and vulnerable to scratches. Metal, on the other hand, works best with an industrial theme. Wood is more traditional and easily blends in with most decor. However, it can get water rings if you don’t use coasters. Glass is great if you want to create a more open feel in the room. However, it also can get water rings. It is also not a good choice if you have small children in the house, in case it breaks. Moreover, glass requires frequent cleaning. Whatever material you choose, make sure that it works with your lifestyle.
Any additional features to consider?
Coffee tables have a variety of features. You’ll find some that feature storage space such as shelves, bins, or drawers. Perfect if you need space to put remotes, books, magazines, and even blankets. Some tables come with a mirrored surface to create the illusion of a bigger room. Others feature a tray top which you can use to serve snacks and drinks to guests. Then there are the nesting tables which are actually a group of several small coffee tables that fit inside each other, like the Russian dolls. Upholstered coffee tables are perfect if you have children who love rough play.
Our Selected Winners
- STORAGE COFFEE TABLE: Pine wood makes a stunning debut with this coffee table. The generous scale gives it a signature look in any room, whether it's tea time or movie night
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: Table is made of pine veneers, pine wood and engineered wood. Designed with crossbuck details, metal bracket accents and a 2 sided hinged lift top (with stay arms)
- FARMHOUSE FLAIR: The weathered gray finish accentuates rustic farmhouse styling beautifully. Between the crossbuck details and roomy storage inside, you'll undoubtedly love its modern perks
- SPACIOUS SURFACE: Measuring 36" W x 36" D x 18" H, this cocktail table looks great set in both small and large living room spaces.Door opening Width: 32.50 inch
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions and hardware included. Screwdriver (not included) is needed for full assembly
- DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER: Ashley Furniture goes the extra mile to package, protect and deliver your purchase in a timely manner
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Designed and manufactured by Ashley Furniture Industries. The trusted source for stylish furniture, lighting, rugs, accessories and mattresses. For every taste and budget
- DIMENSIONS: 36" D x 36" W x 18.5" H
- SOLID WOOD: Handcrafted with care using the finest quality Pine
- HAND FINISHED with a Tobacco Brown finish and protective NC lacquer to accentuate and highlight the grain and the uniqueness of each piece of furniture
- MULTIPURPOSE TABLE with storage can be used as coffee or cocktail table. Looks great in your living room, great room, condo, family room or den
- Features two bottom drawers with metal drawer glides and large open shelf for plenty of storage
- Made from solid wood
- Features a butcher block surface
- One shelf measuring 18.3" X 16.9"
- Distance from apron to top of shelf: 11"
- Distance from floor to bottom of shelf: 3.5"
- Rated for residential use only, not intended for commercial use
Square Coffee Tables under $50
Square Coffee Tables under $100
Square Coffee Tables under $200
Square Coffee Tables under $500
- Split Design: 35.43”L x 35.43”W x 18.66”H, The farmhouse coffee table pairs a spring lift top with hinged lid to reveal a handy storage compartment.
- Solid Table Construction: The wood coffee table is made of wood to ensure the table strong enough for your long-term use.
- Large Storage Space: The mid century coffee table features a large hidden compartment under the tabletop to keep your laptop, remote controllers, game controllers, cup set handy and dirt-free.
- Functional Coffee Table: The square coffee table can be used as a coffee table, dining table or computer desk for any space like living room, bedroom, or small apartments, dorms, and dens.
- Easy Assembly: Comes with all necessary hardware and an illustrated instruction manual to help you set up this cocktail table quickly and without any difficulties.