A coffee table is a versatile piece of furniture that should never be overlooked. It provides you with all the surface space you need for serving snacks and drinks to guests. It also allows you to have a permanent place for your remote control and favorite magazines. More importantly, your coffee table is important to your sofa the way Chewbacca is to Hans Solo. They’re partners. And it only stands to reason that you make sure that you do your part in finding your sofa’s perfect partner. If you’re not ready to trust your design instincts, we’ve got some tips that should help you figure out what to choose.
What size works for you?
When it comes to your coffee table, size matters. A lot. It’s important due to several reasons. The size of your coffee table will help determine how much space it will occupy which also enables you to measure how much space there is to move around it. The size is also important because it needs to be in proportion to the existing furniture in the room, specifically your sofa. If the scale and proportion are both off, then it’ll throw off the entire balance in the room. Moreover, size will help determine how much surface space you have available to fulfill your needs.
So, what size should you get? Experts recommend that the length of your table should be no more than two-thirds of the length of your sofa. The height should be equal to the seat of your sofa. It can be an inch or two lower if you want to have a more laid back feel in the room. A taller one, however, only works if you are getting a round coffee table. As for width, make sure that there’s around 12 to 18 inches of space between any existing furniture and your table. That will enable you to comfortably walk around the coffee table without banging your knee on anything. But keep in mind that anyone sitting on the sofa should also still be able to easily place their drink, food, or phone on top of the table.
Will a square shaped coffee table work for you?
Square coffee tables look good if you have sectional sofas in your living room. They also work well in smaller rooms or when you have a seating arrangement that’s square-like. However, they are not ideal if you have a long sofa because not everyone may be able to reach the table while seated.
What material should you choose?
There are a variety of materials that you can choose from. Metal and stone (e.g. marble, granite) are great options if you want to choose something really durable. However, they aren’t ideal if you have kids around since the sharp edges can cause injuries. In addition, stone is quite difficult to move around and vulnerable to scratches. Metal, on the other hand, works best with an industrial theme. Wood is more traditional and easily blends in with most decor. However, it can get water rings if you don’t use coasters. Glass is great if you want to create a more open feel in the room. However, it also can get water rings. It is also not a good choice if you have small children in the house, in case it breaks. Moreover, glass requires frequent cleaning. Whatever material you choose, make sure that it works with your lifestyle.
Any additional features to consider?
Coffee tables have a variety of features. You’ll find some that feature storage space such as shelves, bins, or drawers. Perfect if you need space to put remotes, books, magazines, and even blankets. Some tables come with a mirrored surface to create the illusion of a bigger room. Others feature a tray top which you can use to serve snacks and drinks to guests. Then there are the nesting tables which are actually a group of several small coffee tables that fit inside each other, like the Russian dolls. Upholstered coffee tables are perfect if you have children who love rough play.
Our Selected Winners
- LIFT TOP COFFEE TABLE: This rustic two-tone coffee table doubles up on form and function; Designer touches include plank effect styling, distress marks and industrial brackets for added character
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: Made with pine veneers, wood and engineered wood; Clever split style design pairs a spring lift top with hinged lid revealing a handy storage compartment
- FARMHOUSE CHIC: You'll love how the black and wood contrast create visual interest that shows tried and true farmhouse in your home; Lift top design provides additional storage for catchalls and daily items
- SPACIOUS SURFACE: This square lift top cocktail table measures 36inches Wide by 36inches Deep by 18inches Height; Living or family room ready as a center piece guests will love
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions, tools and hardware included
- DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER: Ashley Furniture goes the extra mile to package, protect and deliver your purchase in a timely manner
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Designed and manufactured by Ashley Furniture Industries; The trusted source for stylish furniture, lighting, rugs, accessories and mattresses; For every taste and budget
- 【FARMHOUSE DESIGN】Wampat coffee table crafted from finest wood grain surface and the side is decorated with Z-shaped wooden strips. Perfect for modern farmhouse decorating style, adding beauty to your living room and a living atmosphere. The corners are decorated with riveted metal brackets to keep the corners intact.
- 【CLAMSHELL DESKTOP】Unlike other coffee tables, this storage coffee table adopts a clamshell design, the top board can be turned 90 degrees freely, and the use of gas struts to cushion the drop, to ensure safety and strengthen the protection of the table.
- 【LARGE STORAGE SPACES】The large square coffee table comes with a hidden storage cabinet of 136L space for organizing and storing your daily necessities. Spacious table top (30 "Lx30 "W) for all your daily needs.
- 【STURDY & QUALITY ASSURANCE】Wood coffee table is made of thickened materials, durable, strong and easy to clean.The maximum total weight is 140 LBS. The top board can bear up to 60LBS and the bottom 80LBS.
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】A clear instruction is included, which has straight forward illustrations and descriptions. Each screw and pin has its own code and boards are clearly labeled to help you easily understand the process of assembling this rustic coffee table
- 18" H x 30" L x 30" W
- 1 drawer on smooth telescoping metal glides
- Lower shelf for an open storage
- Made of high-grade MDF and durable laminate
- Easy to assemble
Square Coffee Tables under $50
Square Coffee Tables under $100
Square Coffee Tables under $200
Square Coffee Tables under $500
- Reclaimed Pine Solids & Pine Veneers
- Two Tone Charcoal/Desert Finish
- Thick Plank Solid Pine Tops
- Unique "L" Grooved Leg
- Heavy Block Legs
- COFFEE TABLE: Bring home rustic farmhouse style with this cocktail table in a whitewash finish. Generously scaled, it's a great living room companion
- QUALITY MADE: Made with pine wood, veneer and engineered wood. Black metal brackets lend a reclaimed industrial element
- STYLISH STORAGE: A modern dual-lid tabletop provides easy access to the roomy storage space below. The cross-buck design brings an utterly charming feel
- PERFECT SIZE: Measuring 36" W x 36" D x 18.25" H, this table is ideal for holding a table lamp, printer or house plant. The pair of door openers measure 32.63"W x 13.75" D x 12.13"H. It's great for indoor spaces such as an entryway
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions and hardware included. Two people recommended. Screwdriver (not included) is required for assembly