A coffee table is a versatile piece of furniture that should never be overlooked. It provides you with all the surface space you need for serving snacks and drinks to guests. It also allows you to have a permanent place for your remote control and favorite magazines. More importantly, your coffee table is important to your sofa the way Chewbacca is to Hans Solo. They’re partners. And it only stands to reason that you make sure that you do your part in finding your sofa’s perfect partner. If you’re not ready to trust your design instincts, we’ve got some tips that should help you figure out what to choose.
What size works for you?
When it comes to your coffee table, size matters. A lot. It’s important due to several reasons. The size of your coffee table will help determine how much space it will occupy which also enables you to measure how much space there is to move around it. The size is also important because it needs to be in proportion to the existing furniture in the room, specifically your sofa. If the scale and proportion are both off, then it’ll throw off the entire balance in the room. Moreover, size will help determine how much surface space you have available to fulfill your needs.
So, what size should you get? Experts recommend that the length of your table should be no more than two-thirds of the length of your sofa. The height should be equal to the seat of your sofa. It can be an inch or two lower if you want to have a more laid back feel in the room. A taller one, however, only works if you are getting a round coffee table. As for width, make sure that there’s around 12 to 18 inches of space between any existing furniture and your table. That will enable you to comfortably walk around the coffee table without banging your knee on anything. But keep in mind that anyone sitting on the sofa should also still be able to easily place their drink, food, or phone on top of the table.
Will a square shaped coffee table work for you?
Square coffee tables look good if you have sectional sofas in your living room. They also work well in smaller rooms or when you have a seating arrangement that’s square-like. However, they are not ideal if you have a long sofa because not everyone may be able to reach the table while seated.
What material should you choose?
There are a variety of materials that you can choose from. Metal and stone (e.g. marble, granite) are great options if you want to choose something really durable. However, they aren’t ideal if you have kids around since the sharp edges can cause injuries. In addition, stone is quite difficult to move around and vulnerable to scratches. Metal, on the other hand, works best with an industrial theme. Wood is more traditional and easily blends in with most decor. However, it can get water rings if you don’t use coasters. Glass is great if you want to create a more open feel in the room. However, it also can get water rings. It is also not a good choice if you have small children in the house, in case it breaks. Moreover, glass requires frequent cleaning. Whatever material you choose, make sure that it works with your lifestyle.
Any additional features to consider?
Coffee tables have a variety of features. You’ll find some that feature storage space such as shelves, bins, or drawers. Perfect if you need space to put remotes, books, magazines, and even blankets. Some tables come with a mirrored surface to create the illusion of a bigger room. Others feature a tray top which you can use to serve snacks and drinks to guests. Then there are the nesting tables which are actually a group of several small coffee tables that fit inside each other, like the Russian dolls. Upholstered coffee tables are perfect if you have children who love rough play.
Our Selected Winners
- Dimensions: 17" H x 32" L x 32" W
- Pair with matching side tables for a complete living room set
- The faux marble table top features a UV coating for moisture resistance and a high gloss shine
- Made with laminate and metal for long-lasting construction
- Supports up to 75 lbs.
- DIMENSIONS: 32" D x 32" W x 18" H
- HAND FINISHED with a Natural finish and a protective NC lacquer to accentuate and highlight the grain and the uniqueness of each piece of furniture
- MULTIPURPOSE TABLE with storage can be used as coffee or cocktail table. Looks great in your living room, great room, condo, family room or den
- Split Top lifts up in two places to reveal storage compartments and one (1) open compartment for plenty of storage
- SOLID WOOD: Handcrafted with care using the finest quality solid Mango Hardwood
- Distressed Saddle Brown Faux Air Leather
- Constructed using solid and engineered woods
- Large interior storage space
- It features a hydraulic lift up lid; Simple assembly; just attach legs
- Mid century style; Dimensions: 36"w x 36"d x 19.1'
Square Coffee Tables under $50
Square Coffee Tables under $100
Square Coffee Tables under $200
Square Coffee Tables under $500
- Square 4-sided open-shelf storage inspired by Artisan wine bottle crates
- Coffee table has center flip box tray insert
- Keyhole concepts for added classic style
- Convenience in moving with smooth moving wheels
- Tabels are made with durable construction which promotes longevity