The focal point in your living room is your coffee table. This means that the wrong coffee table can easily put the entire look of the room out of this world or out of whack. And we’re not exaggerating. A coffee table is more than just a fitting companion to your sofa. It performs various functions. It serves as a place to put your books, magazines, phones, drinks, and food. It also serves as a way for you to show off your personality, allowing you to display your treasured trinkets. And if you so choose, your coffee table can be an additional storage space. If you create a beautiful room but it does not have the functions that you need it to have, then what’s the point? Now that we’ve established the importance of your coffee table, let’s get into the details of finding the perfect one.
Is a round coffee table right for you?
Coffee tables come in various shapes and sizes. The most popular shape is the rectangular one because it easily works with most sofas. They have the same shape, after all. But a round shape is nothing to scoff at either. This is the ideal option if you have kids in the house. The table has no sharp edges that can cause injury. This shape is also great if you’re going to be walking around the coffee table frequently. Moreover, a round shape adds balance if you have a lot of square or rectangular shapes in your living room such as the sofa, the TV stand or fireplace, and square side tables.
What do you need the coffee table for?
Most people fail to think about what they plan to use their coffee table for. Is it just going to be a decorative piece because the room feels empty without it? Or will it serve a purpose? If the answer to the second question is a yes, then consider what needs the table will be fulfilling. Will you be eating on this coffee table or serving food and drinks to guests? What about playing board games? Or will you only use it as a place to put your phone and remote control on whenever you’re lounging in the living room? Take note of all the activities you plan to do in the living room that involves your coffee table and make sure that you have enough surface space to accommodate your needs. In addition to this, you should also think about storage. As we’ve already mentioned, some coffee tables feature storage options such as shelves and drawers. If you need the extra storage space, this is definitely something you need to consider.
How big should your coffee table be?
Size is an incredibly important consideration when it comes to choosing your coffee table. The scale and proportion of your table should fit with the current furniture you have in the room, specifically your sofa. The height of the table should be equal or one to two inches lower than the height of the seat of your sofa. A taller coffee table can work but only if you choose one with a small diameter.
Your coffee table should also be no longer than two-thirds of your entire sofa. Any longer than that and it would create an imbalance in the room, overwhelming the space around it. In addition, a shorter length ensures that you have enough space to comfortably walk around the table when necessary.
As for the width, measure the entire space between your sofa and the TV stand or fireplace. Then, deduct 48 inches from that number. Whatever the result is, that’s the ideal width of your coffee table. Another way to measure the width is to make sure that there’s 12 to 18 inches of space surrounding your coffee table. This allows for the occurrence of comfortable foot traffic; no need to bump into the table even if you’re in a hurry.
What material will work for your lifestyle?
Coffee tables can be made of a variety of materials – metal, wood, glass, stone, and even upholstered. Metal is a good choice if you want a durable coffee table. Wood is a common material, but it is susceptible to water rings. If you’re not the type to use coasters, then this isn’t the material for you. Stone is another durable material, but it is heavy and difficult to move around. This isn’t an ideal option if you plan to relocate in the future. Glass is a great option if you want to make the room look bigger and more open. However, it will require regular cleaning. And it’s not ideal if you have kids in the house who like to play rough.
Top 3 Exclusive Picks
- Includes: one Coffee table with distressed details.
- Handcrafted from high Quality mango wood that makes it unique from the other variants in its category.
- The spacious top offers a perfect spot for serving and displaying decorative items.
- The table measures 35.5 inches in L x 35.5 inches in W x 12 inches in H, weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- Bring an aesthetic appeal to your living room with this designer Coffee table.
- The color, finish, wood grain and knots may vary due to various natural and artificial factors.
Coffee Tables Under $50
Coffee Tables Under $100
Coffee Tables Under $200
- LIFT-TOP DESIGN: The tabletop can be lifted and moved forward to create a decent space of L120 x W60 cm/ L47.5 x W23.5” for work or dine. The metal adjustment mechanism helps lift the tabletop from 49cm/19.5’’ to 62cm/24.5’’ easily and without noise.
- PROTECTIVE PADS: Foam pads included, you can attach them between the tabletop and legs as bumpers, which can protect the tabletop and ensure a silent and safe operation to boot.
- ADEQUATE STORAGE SPACE: A storage compartment concealed under the top keeps your everyday items like laptop, game controllers and suchlike handy yet out-of-sight when not in use. Two bottom open shelves provide more room for storing and displaying.
- CAREFULLY-SELECTED MATERIALS: Using CARB P2-compliant MDF and water- and wear-resistant laminated surface, this durable coffee table brings you no worries about harmful emissions at all.
- BRING COMFORT HOME: With this functional living room furniture, you don’t need to lean forward to work or dine on the table while relaxing on the couch. Its clean-lined silhouette and lightly distressed finish can blend with a variety of modern home décor.
Coffee Tables for $200 and above
- Carrara marble top
- 14mm thick sealed marble
- American White Oak with Walnut finish
- Each marble top is unique and varies in color tone, vein and pattern
- Some assembly required (approximately 15 mins)
- Coffee table dimensions: 17” H x 30.625” L x 30.625” L, Side table dimensions: 22 H x 18” D x 18” L
- Coffee table supports up to 100 Ibs. and side tables support up to 75 Ibs.
- Made with warp-resistant MDF and sturdy powder-coated steel
- Includes 1 coffee table and 2 side tables
- Ships ready-to-assemble with step-by-step instructions
- Ships in several boxes, may ship separately
- BROWN COFFEE TABLE: Rise to any occasion in style with this warm, homey cocktail table. It has modern conveniences and beloved classic design elements, resulting in a look that exudes relaxed elegance
- LIFT TOP STORAGE: Crafted with a spring loaded mechanism that elevates the tabletop. The false drawer front and legs with turned bun feet are simply chic. Made with veneers, wood and engineered wood
- RUSTIC FINISH: Warm and inviting in a burnished rustic brown hue. Aged bronze-tone hardware ties the look together
- SPACIOUS TABLETOP: There's plenty of room for you to set your favorite home accents and photos with this table measuring 32.75” W x 28.25” D x 20” H
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions, hardware and tools included
- DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER: Ashley Furniture goes the extra mile to package, protect and deliver your purchase in a timely manner
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Designed and manufactured by Ashley Furniture Industries. The trusted source for stylish furniture, lighting, rugs, accessories and mattresses. For every taste and budget
- Sophisticated mirrored coffee table; Wide-beveled inset mirrored tabletop
- Included components: Cocktail Table
- Hand-placed mirrored mosaic tile apron; Saber legs and modern claw feet
- Package Weight: 51.0 pounds