The focal point in your living room is your coffee table. This means that the wrong coffee table can easily put the entire look of the room out of this world or out of whack. And we’re not exaggerating. A coffee table is more than just a fitting companion to your sofa. It performs various functions. It serves as a place to put your books, magazines, phones, drinks, and food. It also serves as a way for you to show off your personality, allowing you to display your treasured trinkets. And if you so choose, your coffee table can be an additional storage space. If you create a beautiful room but it does not have the functions that you need it to have, then what’s the point? Now that we’ve established the importance of your coffee table, let’s get into the details of finding the perfect one.
Is a round coffee table right for you?
Coffee tables come in various shapes and sizes. The most popular shape is the rectangular one because it easily works with most sofas. They have the same shape, after all. But a round shape is nothing to scoff at either. This is the ideal option if you have kids in the house. The table has no sharp edges that can cause injury. This shape is also great if you’re going to be walking around the coffee table frequently. Moreover, a round shape adds balance if you have a lot of square or rectangular shapes in your living room such as the sofa, the TV stand or fireplace, and square side tables.
What do you need the coffee table for?
Most people fail to think about what they plan to use their coffee table for. Is it just going to be a decorative piece because the room feels empty without it? Or will it serve a purpose? If the answer to the second question is a yes, then consider what needs the table will be fulfilling. Will you be eating on this coffee table or serving food and drinks to guests? What about playing board games? Or will you only use it as a place to put your phone and remote control on whenever you’re lounging in the living room? Take note of all the activities you plan to do in the living room that involves your coffee table and make sure that you have enough surface space to accommodate your needs. In addition to this, you should also think about storage. As we’ve already mentioned, some coffee tables feature storage options such as shelves and drawers. If you need the extra storage space, this is definitely something you need to consider.
How big should your coffee table be?
Size is an incredibly important consideration when it comes to choosing your coffee table. The scale and proportion of your table should fit with the current furniture you have in the room, specifically your sofa. The height of the table should be equal or one to two inches lower than the height of the seat of your sofa. A taller coffee table can work but only if you choose one with a small diameter.
Your coffee table should also be no longer than two-thirds of your entire sofa. Any longer than that and it would create an imbalance in the room, overwhelming the space around it. In addition, a shorter length ensures that you have enough space to comfortably walk around the table when necessary.
As for the width, measure the entire space between your sofa and the TV stand or fireplace. Then, deduct 48 inches from that number. Whatever the result is, that’s the ideal width of your coffee table. Another way to measure the width is to make sure that there’s 12 to 18 inches of space surrounding your coffee table. This allows for the occurrence of comfortable foot traffic; no need to bump into the table even if you’re in a hurry.
What material will work for your lifestyle?
Coffee tables can be made of a variety of materials – metal, wood, glass, stone, and even upholstered. Metal is a good choice if you want a durable coffee table. Wood is a common material, but it is susceptible to water rings. If you’re not the type to use coasters, then this isn’t the material for you. Stone is another durable material, but it is heavy and difficult to move around. This isn’t an ideal option if you plan to relocate in the future. Glass is a great option if you want to make the room look bigger and more open. However, it will require regular cleaning. And it’s not ideal if you have kids in the house who like to play rough.
Top 3 Exclusive Picks
- Rustic solid wood surface crafted with premium cut slabs of reclaimed wood featuring a smoothed textured surface that adds versatile unique character to your space
- Solid iron support base for solid welded infrastructure supporting up to 300lbs
- Choose from a grid iron or solid wood base shelf panel tastefully holds and displays living room accessories; magazines, remotes and more.
- Rustic Natural Finish provides a warm, yet elegant home feeling,Knots, cracks and variations in the wood are all a part of the history of this reclaimed wood furniture
- Dimensions: 35.8"(L) × 35.8"(W) ×18.5"(H). Weight: 30lbs. Diameter: 35.8". Weight Capacity - 300lbs. The capacity of the shelf weight: 22lbs
- This coffee table will add a fresh look to any room
- Crafted of iron
- Perfect for a living room, family room, den, library, or study
- For over 100 years, Safavieh has been crafting products of the highest quality and unmatched style
- Disclaimer: Please note that this product is hand crafted by artisans, and none are exactly alike. Each item will have different shadings, patterning and variations in color
- Stella is a unique coffee table with its set of two round nesting tables for a modern space-saving solution in your living room.
- Use the Stella nesting tables separately or stack together if needing more walking space in your living room when guests come over.
- Lifetime manufacturer : try for 100 days.
- Easy 30-minute assembly.
- [Table 1] Length: 32” x Width: 32” x Height: 18" [Table 2] Length: 24" x Width: 24" x Height: 13" nesting coffee tables.
Coffee Tables Under $50
Coffee Tables Under $100
Coffee Tables Under $200
Coffee Tables for $200 and above
- Easy to Upkeep: The modern decor coffee tables for living room can be cleaned easily with a soft, damp cloth.
- Smart Storage: Dual rotatable drawers offer ample space for storing tea set, snacks, magazines, remote control, toys and more.
- Flexible Usage: Small table can be nested completely underneath the large table or used separately, flexible and practical.
- Made of manufactured wood and gold metal, it ensures sturdy construction and steady support.
- Lift-Top Design: Lift-top design can be lifted to provide the perfect height.