A living room with a sofa and no coffee table is like Lord of the Rings with Frodo and no Samwise Gamgee. There’s no question that the sofa is the star of the show. But it’s the coffee table that adds the final touch that your living room needs in order to look complete. Of course, getting a coffee table that perfectly complements your sofa and the rest of your space isn’t easy. Now, some people might say that it is. It’s not rocket science. But they might not have had a hard time choosing because they inherited Great Aunt Betty’s coffee table. Or maybe they have great instincts when it comes to making design decisions. But for the rest of us, the question remains – with so many choices available, how do you know which one’s perfect for you? The guide below should help you figure out the answer.
Do you need a rectangular coffee table?
As you may already know, coffee tables come in a variety of shapes. Rectangular ones are the most common because they work well with most sofas, having the same shape. Moreover, these coffee tables offer the most surface space. Everyone sitting around the sofa will be able to reach the table easily. In addition, this shape looks great in small rooms.
What size should your coffee table be?
There’s one basic rule that everyone needs to follow when choosing a coffee table – it should fit with the scale and proportion of the existing furniture as well as the living room space. Remember, your coffee table will be at the center of everything. It’ll be easy to see if it doesn’t complement the rest of the room. So, the question is, how do you know what the right scale and proportion is? Measurements.
The height of your coffee table should be the same height as the cushion of your sofa. It can be a little lower if you have lounge seating and want to create a more laid back feel. If you want to go taller, then maybe you should choose a round coffee table with a small diameter instead.
The length of your coffee table should be no more than two-thirds the length of your sofa. This ensures that the table won’t be overwhelming your entire space, creating a more balanced appearance. It also helps guarantee that there will be enough space for you to easily move around the table.
What about width? In order to determine the width of your coffee table, you need to first have a designated place in which to put it. Once you have that, you need to measure how much space is available for your table while still ensuring that there’s 12 to 18 inches of clearance between it and all surrounding pieces of furniture. Remember, you want to be able to easily maneuver around the table and provide comfortable foot traffic in your entire living room. Here’s a pro tip: subtract 48 inches from the amount of space between your sofa and your TV stand. That number is the ideal width of your coffee table.
What style should you choose?
There are plenty of different styles for you to choose from. Take note that there is no right or wrong style. Your choice will depend on your preference and the existing decor in your home.
The traditional style is quite formal, featuring ornate detailing such as carvings and curved legs. This style typically uses rich woods. Transitional is a style that’s between traditional and contemporary. This style has a casual yet functional aesthetic and can easily fit in most homes. The contemporary style has a more edgy and bold feel, often featuring glass and metal. The cottage style is more vintage with feminine detailing and distressed finishes. And then there’s the industrial style which tends to look like refurbished pieces, made of weathered wood, metal, or even concrete.
Top 3 Exclusive Picks
- [2-Tier Coffee Table]The round table top is 36 inch, which provides spacious space for living room supplies and keep your daily essentials nearby. The bottom shelf is 33.5", gives you extra space to store magazines and toys, and make your room tidy and neat.
- [Sturdy Wood Coffee Table] The top of our round coffee table is made of MDF material which is Eco-friendly P2 particle board, waterproof and wear-resistant, Multi-step finish process achieves both good looks and superior durability. Thick matte alloy legs sturdy enough to support the coffee table.
- [Round Classical vintage Coffee Table] High quality imitation wood grain finish that enhances the natural beauty of the table. Simple construction to create an attractive look and feeling. Fits well with your personal taste and interior decor. It can match with any style of living room, no matter your living room has a simple decoration or luxury style.
- [Easy to Assemble] Easy assembly in 15-30 minutes. Wipe with soft dry cloth. The packaging contains all needed tools and instructions.
- [We Promise] Free returns for 30 days. 3 years warranty. And you can always contact us by using Amazon email.
- Includes: one Coffee table with distressed details.
- Handcrafted from high Quality mango wood that makes it unique from the other variants in its category.
- The spacious top offers a perfect spot for serving and displaying decorative items.
- The table measures 35.5 inches in L x 35.5 inches in W x 12 inches in H, weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- Bring an aesthetic appeal to your living room with this designer Coffee table.
- The color, finish, wood grain and knots may vary due to various natural and artificial factors.
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $50
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $100
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $200
- Dimensions: 19” H x 36” D x 36” L
- Made with warp-resistant MDF and durable laminate
- Top surface supports up to 100 Ibs.
- Rubber capped feet help prevent scratched floors
- Ships ready-to-assemble with step-by-step instructions
- Simple, straightforward design complements waiting rooms, entryways, living rooms or lounge areas
- Solid 1-inch thick hardwood Construction finished with a rich Cherry Hand-Rubbed veneer
- Spacious 37-inch round Top
- Coordinates with Chloe end tables
- Backed by 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty
- Modern: our table offers a simplistic structure and metallic colors for a modern touch in any home. Featuring a clean, cylindrical shape and convenient table lip, This accent table Set will instantly give your décor A chic atmosphere
- Hammered metal: This Coffee table features a hammered surface to create a gorgeous textured look. This finish allows this piece aesthetic versatility, Blending seamlessly with a range of décor Styles
- Iron frame: The Sturdy Construction of this iron frame ensures that this table will hold up under heavy use
- Dimensions: Choose an accessory that is the perfect size for you and your furniture. This Coffee table Comes in 26. 00” L x 26. 00” W x 17. 00” H. You will love how much your space can transform with the Simple addition of this table
- No assembly: This Coffee table Comes ready to use straight out of the box. No Assembly required
- Elegant Design - This vintage round coffee table makes it a modest yet elegant living room addition for placing magazines, snacks, beverages, or a decorative centerpiece.
- Sturdy Construction - High quality metal frame ensure safe and durability. X-shape metal base makes it more stable. Both the table top and the shelf can withstand a great deal of weight up to 264lbs.
- Multiple Functions - The small table can be used as coffee table, cocktail table, end table, sofa table etc.
- Easy Assembly and Clean - Just screw in the bolts and it’s done. Smooth wood top that can be cleaned easily with a feather duster or cloth.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: We provide 12 months' worry-free warranty and friendly customer service. If there is any question please feel free to contact us, our customer service team will response in 24 hours ASAP.