A living room with a sofa and no coffee table is like Lord of the Rings with Frodo and no Samwise Gamgee. There’s no question that the sofa is the star of the show. But it’s the coffee table that adds the final touch that your living room needs in order to look complete. Of course, getting a coffee table that perfectly complements your sofa and the rest of your space isn’t easy. Now, some people might say that it is. It’s not rocket science. But they might not have had a hard time choosing because they inherited Great Aunt Betty’s coffee table. Or maybe they have great instincts when it comes to making design decisions. But for the rest of us, the question remains – with so many choices available, how do you know which one’s perfect for you? The guide below should help you figure out the answer.
Do you need a rectangular coffee table?
As you may already know, coffee tables come in a variety of shapes. Rectangular ones are the most common because they work well with most sofas, having the same shape. Moreover, these coffee tables offer the most surface space. Everyone sitting around the sofa will be able to reach the table easily. In addition, this shape looks great in small rooms.
What size should your coffee table be?
There’s one basic rule that everyone needs to follow when choosing a coffee table – it should fit with the scale and proportion of the existing furniture as well as the living room space. Remember, your coffee table will be at the center of everything. It’ll be easy to see if it doesn’t complement the rest of the room. So, the question is, how do you know what the right scale and proportion is? Measurements.
The height of your coffee table should be the same height as the cushion of your sofa. It can be a little lower if you have lounge seating and want to create a more laid back feel. If you want to go taller, then maybe you should choose a round coffee table with a small diameter instead.
The length of your coffee table should be no more than two-thirds the length of your sofa. This ensures that the table won’t be overwhelming your entire space, creating a more balanced appearance. It also helps guarantee that there will be enough space for you to easily move around the table.
What about width? In order to determine the width of your coffee table, you need to first have a designated place in which to put it. Once you have that, you need to measure how much space is available for your table while still ensuring that there’s 12 to 18 inches of clearance between it and all surrounding pieces of furniture. Remember, you want to be able to easily maneuver around the table and provide comfortable foot traffic in your entire living room. Here’s a pro tip: subtract 48 inches from the amount of space between your sofa and your TV stand. That number is the ideal width of your coffee table.
What style should you choose?
There are plenty of different styles for you to choose from. Take note that there is no right or wrong style. Your choice will depend on your preference and the existing decor in your home.
The traditional style is quite formal, featuring ornate detailing such as carvings and curved legs. This style typically uses rich woods. Transitional is a style that’s between traditional and contemporary. This style has a casual yet functional aesthetic and can easily fit in most homes. The contemporary style has a more edgy and bold feel, often featuring glass and metal. The cottage style is more vintage with feminine detailing and distressed finishes. And then there’s the industrial style which tends to look like refurbished pieces, made of weathered wood, metal, or even concrete.
Top 3 Exclusive Picks
- Stella is a unique coffee table with its set of two round nesting tables for a modern space-saving solution in your living room.
- Use the Stella nesting tables separately or stack together if needing more walking space in your living room when guests come over.
- Lifetime manufacturer : try for 100 days.
- Easy 30-minute assembly.
- [Table 1] Length: 32” x Width: 32” x Height: 18" [Table 2] Length: 24" x Width: 24" x Height: 13" nesting coffee tables.
- ANTIQUE DESIGN - Solid reclaimed elm in a waxed finish made old elm wood coffee table. It is a unique sense of natural history that increased a rustic look to any room. It is beautifully crafted, and interesting
- RARE RESOURCE - Made from reclaimed solid old elm dating back up to a century ago; Sturdier and more collection values than other ordinary cheaply made coffee tables. It will be the focus of the party
- UNIQUE TEXTURE - Make finish process of up to 10 finish steps each one-of-a-kind sculpture has its grain patterns and patina, texture in an unsurpassed clarity, depth, and durability to our finishes.
- MULTIPURPOSE USE - The coffee table is a collection perfect for a variety of rooms at home, including the living room, dining room, and home office. It gives you plenty of surface space to spread out the evening news, host your guests' drinks, uncluttered space for the television remote.
- Approximate Dimensions: 27" L x 27" W x 16"H
- Robust and Durable---Elegant living room furniture, this mid century coffee table is made of high-grade 16MM thickened MDF Board and metal legs 25MM durable powder-coated iron pipe with rust-resistant effect for long-lasting use. This modern coffee table is suitable for the living room and can match any decor in your house.
- Large Storage Space---Our small coffee table has a spacious surface for everyday use and a low-level open shelf that can hold your different types of items, such as books, toys, snacks. its the perfect space-saver solution for a small apartment or large home. Ample space makes your home and room tidy and clean.
- Imitation Wood Grain Surface---The distressed wood grain PVC veneer finish has the look of being weathered and old, giving it texture and a rustic, homey appeal for our coffee table. Also, this round table is scratch-resistant, waterproof and easy to clean. No paint was needed, green non-toxic and Eco-friendly.
- Rustic Urban Industrial Style---The warm tone of the wood and the simple modern look, gives to the tables an elegant classical vintage style, create an attractive look and feel. You can use this coffee table set in the living room, lounge, playroom.. etc., it can match wherever you put it. The Overall Dimensions for our small rustic coffee table are 35.83”(W) x 18.31”(H), ideal for small spaces.
- Easy to Assemble--- This coffee table with storage is simple to set up. Tools and instructions needed are provided, allowing an easy assembling and disassembling.
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $50
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $100
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $200
- Boasts a contemporary style with a minimalist twist
- Crafted from faux white marble/MDF/powder coated metal
- Luxurious multifunctional table for any room
- Easy assembly in only 2 steps
- Part of the Gold Coast Collection from Convenience Concepts
- MINIMALIST STYLE: This modern and contemporary table is simple in shape and chic in color, can perfectly compatible with your room style and décor.
- PRACTICAL AND DURABLE: Wood coffee table dimensions are 31.0x18.3 inches.It is constructed in a graceful smart structure while keeping lightweight to be moved around easily.
- FIT ANYWHERE: This coffee table is ideal for various rooms, which can be applied in many places, such as your living room, bedroom, garden, or study to be used as a coffee table or sofa table.
- HIGH QUALITY: The surface of this coffee table is made of high-quality wood and painted with harmless spray paint. Good-quality wood ensures a long-term use, while the spray paint also prolongs the service life of this coffee table.
- FINECASA WITH CONFIDENCE: Any suggestions for improvement are warmly welcomed, and we promise a refund if this table unexpectedly fails to meet your expectations.
Rectangular Coffee Tables Under $500
- Modern: our table offers a simplistic structure and metallic colors for a modern touch in any home. Featuring a clean, cylindrical shape and convenient table lip, This accent table Set will instantly give your décor A chic atmosphere
- Hammered metal: This Coffee table features a hammered surface to create a gorgeous textured look. This finish allows this piece aesthetic versatility, Blending seamlessly with a range of décor Styles
- Iron frame: The Sturdy Construction of this iron frame ensures that this table will hold up under heavy use
- Dimensions: Choose an accessory that is the perfect size for you and your furniture. This Coffee table Comes in 26. 00” L x 26. 00” W x 17. 00” H. You will love how much your space can transform with the Simple addition of this table
- No assembly: This Coffee table Comes ready to use straight out of the box. No Assembly required