Choosing a coffee table is not something most people prioritize when it comes to decorating their living room. Yes, it serves a practical purpose because where else will we be able to artfully lay down a book or a bunch of magazines for guests to peruse? Still, it serves as an afterthought compared to how much time and effort is spent getting the sofa, rug, and even the curtains right. But the coffee table is so much more than just a resting place for your stuff. It can double up as a stool if you lack seating for guests. It can add character to your living space, depending on what treasured trinkets you want to place there. It can also function as storage space, though this will depend on the features of your coffee table.
Oval Coffee Tables Buying Guide:
So, you want to buy an oval coffee table. There are plenty of options to choose from, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding one for your living room. Right? Well, that’s certainly true if you don’t mind just getting the first coffee table that you come across. But if you want to get the best oval coffee table that looks perfect in your living space, then you need to make sure you follow the rules below.
Rule #1: Get the size right.
If you want your oval coffee table to complement the rest of your existing furniture, you need to make sure that it has the right scale and proportion. The height of your table should be the same as the top of your sofa’s cushions. You can get away with something an inch or two lower, but any more than that and it will look a little awkward.
Aside from height, you also need to make sure to get the right length. Your oval coffee table should be around two-thirds of the length of your sofa. So, if you have a sofa that measures 96 inches long, then your coffee table should be approximately 64 inches long.
Size is not just about how long or how high your coffee table is. It also requires you to take clearance into account. There should be sufficient space around your coffee table that you can move around it easily, but not enough space that it’s too far for you to easily reach whatever’s on it. Typically, the space between your sofa and your table should be around 12 to 18 inches. If you have a TV or fireplace, leave around 24 to 30 inches of space between the table and them.
Rule #2: Choose the material that matches your decor and lifestyle.
Coffee tables come in a wide variety of materials – metal, wood, glass, etc. If you want a formal oval coffee table, you’ll want something delicate and fragile-looking such as glass. Like glass, clear acrylic can help make your living room look more open. However, if you have kids in the house, something durable and sturdy would be better such as wood or metal. If you want something modern, glass, metal, and acrylic would look great. A traditional room would require your coffee table to be made of wood or marble.
Rule #3: Consider the functionality.
Obviously, your oval coffee table will be used to hold books, phones, food, and drinks. But coffee tables can have multiple purposes. You can choose a table that provides additional storage space such as shelves or drawers. Some coffee tables feature casters and wheels to make them easier to move around when necessary. You should also think about what you’ll be doing on the coffee table. Will you be using it to play board games? How about puzzles? If you entertain people in your home, will your coffee table serve as a secondary dining table?
Finding the right coffee table to match your needs requires thoughtful consideration. But you shouldn’t feel overwhelmed. Just make sure to follow the rules above and enjoy your shopping.
Our Selected Winners
- Oval Birch wood veneer Top with wide display space
- Additional shelf underneath provides ample space
- Rich Espresso Finish fits into any of your room decor. Matching end table available in the "Perth" collection.
- Set up Dimension: 48" W x 30"D x 18.25"H
- Some assembly needed, Photo may slightly different from Actual Item in Terms of color due to the lighting during Photo Shooting or the Monitor's display
- TRADITIONAL COFFEE TABLE: Styled with stately grandeur, this table is the perfect signature touch for your living room decor. The acanthus leaf detailing and scrollwork are simply divine
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: Cocktail table is made of veneers, wood and manmade wood with cast resin accents and a beveled glass tabletop
- RICH FINISH: All dressed up in a dark, savory brown finish, this coffee table exudes classy vibes you'll never tire of
- SPACIOUS DESIGN: Measuring 48" W x 34" D x 20.25" H, there's plenty of space for you to display your favorite photos and home decor accents
- ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Easy-to-follow instructions, hardware and tools included
- DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER: Ashley Furniture goes the extra mile to package, protect and deliver your purchase in a timely manner
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Designed and manufactured by Ashley Furniture Industries. The trusted source for stylish furniture, lighting, rugs, accessories and mattresses. For every taste and budget
- 31. 5”L x 23. 75”W x 13”h
- Constructed of solid wood
- Rotating top feature
- Minor assembly required, (tools and instructions included)
- Stylish in its modern contemporary design, the Lenox oval Mod Rotating wood coffee table offers a Clear late 60's vibe to any room It is placed in. With a rotating top this table is multi functional and unique. Make a statement in your home with the Lenox oval Mod Rotating wood coffee table
Oval Coffee Tables under $50
Oval Coffee Tables under $100
Oval Coffee Tables under $200
Oval Coffee Tables under $500
- "Includes: One (1) coffee table Materials: plywood with high gloss white finish Color: glossy white finish: high gloss white Product Dimensions in inches: L 31.5 x W 23.62 x H 12.99; Width when table is at widest point: 47.63 Some assembly required Weight: 61.07"
- Contains 1 cocktail table only
- Features an oval shape
- Beveled glass top with scrollwork underlay
- Overall Dimensions : 33. 63 inches in Length x 47. 38 inches in Width x 19. 75 inches in Height
- Metal legs with carvings
- Level of Assembly: Full Assembly Needed, Base Material: Metal
- Packaging and transportation: The packaging includes an oval glass coffee table. All necessary hardware, tools, and instructions are also included. And there is only one box., This glass coffee table is made of metal and tempered glass. Tempered glass pan
- Number of Tables Included: 1, Top Material: Glass
- Overall: 18'' H x 20'' L x 35'' W