A trundle bed is a bed that is stored beneath a normal bed. It features rollers or a pullout mechanism that allows you to roll it out when needed. Typically, the mattress on the lower bed is thinner than that of a standard bed, measuring only 8-inches thick, to make it easy to store away. Trundle beds are a great way to maximize your current floor space, enabling you to keep an extra bed on hand without taking up too much room. It’s a safer option than a bunk bed. Trundle beds come in different shapes, sizes, and styles. Because of this, choosing the trundle bed that meets your needs and preferences can become overwhelming. Below are some tips that should help you figure out which one is right for you.
What are the different types of trundle beds?
Trundle beds, as we’ve already mentioned, come in a variety of shapes and sizes. It’ll be up to you to choose which one suits your needs best.
This type of trundle bed is a favorite because it has multiple functions. It serves as a decorative piece of furniture. It can be used as a couch for lounging or napping. It can be placed in a living room, home office, or hobby room. It can even be used outdoors like on the back patio.
This type of trundle bed resembles a sleigh, hence the name. It features a headboard and a footboard that both curve. Some sleigh beds feature storage drawers instead of the additional bed.
This type of trundle bed features a very high headboard and looks similar to a traditional bed.
What sizes are available?
Trundle beds are specifically designed to be used in small spaces. For this reason, there are usually only two sizes available – twin and full. Depending on the frame, you can get a twin over twin, twin over full trundle bed. Rarely, you may find a queen over twin trundle bed.
What materials are used to make trundle beds?
Trundle beds are usually made of wood or metal, though you’ll find some that are upholstered. The choice of material is entirely up to your preference and decorating style. However, it is important that you ensure the quality of the material as well as the construction. This allows for a longer lifespan. Wood frames tend to be solid, but they’re also quite expensive. Metal frames have a modern look and are less expensive than wooden ones. Trundle bed frames are also sometimes made of plastic or some other synthetic material. While this material makes the frame more affordable, it doesn’t have the same lifespan and durability as the other two materials.
What is the type of mattress used?
The most common types of mattresses used on a trundle bed are innerspring mattresses and memory foam mattresses. A memory foam mattress conforms to your body shape in order to relieve pressure points and provide support. However, it tends to feel warm. An innerspring mattress, on the other hand, is on the firmer side. It is also quite bouncy. Since mattresses are not typically included with the trundle bed frame, it is important that you buy a mattress that ensures the comfort of the sleeper. If you’re considering using the trundle bed as an extra sleeping space for your child’s friend, you don’t have to invest in a top quality mattress. An affordable innerspring mattress will be able to provide adequate comfort to a child for one night. However, if you are going to host an adult, it will be worth it to choose a high quality memory foam mattress instead. Not only does it ensure comfort, your guest won’t be leaving well-rested and without any back pain.
- Multi-functional piece with Victorian finial detailing ideal for small living spaces and accommodating guests
- Product dimensions: 77.5"L x 41.5"W x 41.5"H; Daybed Weight Limit: 400 pounds; Trundle Weight Limit: 225 pounds
- Designed to fit one standard twin size mattress on daybed (maximum 8 inches) and one standard twin size mattress on trundle (maximum 6 inches) – both sold separately
- Sturdy metal frame and slats on the daybed the trundle that deliver additional support and durability. Trundle includes four (4) easy-glide casters – 2 locking and 2 non-locking.
- Ships in one box and assembles easily
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Solid wood platform daybed with twin trundle included; Dark cherry finish stain
- Wavy, contoured side frames; Clean, structured back frame; Trundle with wheels for easy mobility; Slat kit included
- Assembly required by two adults; To clean, use damp cotton cloth to wipe clean; Made in China
- Product measures 79.13--Inch wide by 41.38--Inch deep by 23.25--Inch high; 30-day hassle free replacement parts warranty
- Solid New Zealand Pine wood bed frame | Durable, non-toxic, low VOC finish | Mattresses are not included
- Product overall dimensions – 81.5” L x 42.5” W x 36” H | Twin upper bunk – 79" L x 40" W x 30" H | Trundle lower bunk – 74.5" L x 40" W x 11.7" H | Distance between slats – 8.75” | Weight limit (each) – 400 lbs.
- Flush color matching hardware for a clean look | Does not require a box Spring | Slat platform included
- Metal on metal structural connections won't loosen over time | Slatted headboard with MDF panel footboard for stability
- Top bunk accommodates a standard twin size mattress, not over 8" thickness | Recommended size mattress for the trundle – 72.5” L x 38.5” W x 8” H