Surprise overnight guest? No reason to fret when you can just roll with it. Not all beds need to be stationary. While it makes sense to have a guest room or daybed in the house, not everyone has the space. Fortunately, someone invented the rollaway bed. A rollaway bed, also called a folding bed, typically features a hinged frame and caster wheels. This design enables you to fold the bed and put it away in storage. It also makes setting up the bed when necessary as easy as pie. Most of us have seen this type of bed in hotels, hospitals, and AirBnBs. And you’ve probably come across different ones in your local Target. If you’re in the market for one, it’s easy to assume that one is just as good as another. But like all things, rollaway beds are not created equal. Choosing the right one for your needs requires a bit of patience and a lot of know-how.
Rollaway Bed Buying Guide
Types of Rollaway Beds
There are two types of rollaway beds. The traditional type is the one that features a mattress attached to a hinged steel frame that can be folded in half. Caster wheels are attached to the fame allowing you to push or pull the bed in and out of storage. The other type is the foldable bed without wheels, sometimes called a folding bed or cot. It is less expensive compared to the one with wheels.
Comfort is key when choosing a bed which is why it’s important that you take a close look at the mattress of your rollaway bed. Now, some rollaway beds come with a mattress while others do not. Either way, you need to check that the level of comfort and firmness of the mattress you choose is to your liking. The type of mattresses available include innerspring, polyurethane foam, and memory foam. Innersprings are firm but bouncy while memory foams are plush and conform to the body in order to provide support. Polyfoam lies somewhere in between – slightly springy and conforming. Take note that if you’re buying a rollaway bed without an attached mattress, make sure that you measure the size of the bed you need to buy. You don’t want to end up with a mattress that won’t fit on your frame. In addition, make sure that the mattress is compatible with a folding bed. If not, there’s a good chance that it will break along its middle within a short period of time.
Rollaway beds come in three different sizes – twin, full, and queen. The twin size is the most common and can easily fit a single person. The full size can fit two people, though not as spacious as the queen. Of course, the twin size is easier to store away because of it is smaller and lightweight. It’s usually more affordable. The queen size rollaway bed, on the other hand, isn’t as portable or as convenient to store. It also tends to cost more.
While rollaway beds are usually a temporary sleeping solution, it doesn’t mean that you don’t need to think about durability. After all, it’s not as if it’s going to be used a lot, right? Now, that might be true. But you don’t want to end up with a broken bed just when you need it. Or, worse, while you have a guest sleeping on it. For this reason, you want to choose a rollaway bed that’s made of the strongest materials such as steel or wood, especially for the joints. Wood is robust and offers better durability. However, it is also expensive. Steel, on the other hand, is more easily transportable. If you do choose to go with a metal frame, you need to make sure that the material used is of high quality and the construction is solid. Cheaply made rollaway beds tend to creak which can be annoying to a light sleeper.
- Easy to assemble
- Made with us steel
- Superior comfort and durability.Set includes a 39 rollaway bed frame and a poly fiber Serta mattress poly fiber mattress offers a medium level of firmness for versatility
- No tools needed for assembly
- Casters make it easy to move around
- Folds up for easy storage
- Your purchase includes One Zinus Eden Twin Daybed & Trundle Set | Accommodates 2 Twin size mattresses (less than 9.5” thick) – not included
- Daybed dimensions – 39" W x 77" L x 38" H | Weight limit – 250 lbs. | Item weight – 71 lbs. | Voltage – 120V | Please refer to product pictures for more dimensions
- Premium steel slat support
- Stylish and functional space saving design
- Easy assembly in minutes with no tools needed | Worry free 5 year warranty
- Item includes the Steel frame and mattress - Weight Cap: 275lbs.
- Multi color fabric
- Casters for easy mobility
- Sturdy metal tube frame with durable wire supports
- Easy to store - Twin flat sheets compatible
- Folded dimensions: 13. 5"D x 32"W x 42"H - Open Dimensions: 31. 5"w x 74. 8"d x 15"h
- Innerspring Mattress for added comfort - Mattress thickness: 5"
- Fabric Type: Non Woven Material (Yarn 100% Polyester, Fiber 70% Polyester, 30% Cellulosic Fiber)
- High-Strength Oxford:Compared with wood slat and wire mesh Oxford cloth support provides more elastic and more comfortable
- Includes a memory foam mattress,the 3-inch foam mattress will give you an unexpectedly comfortable nights sleep
- Ideal Fold Out Bed:Robust all metal frame folds in half for storage purpose with the folded dimension 38" x 26'' x 7'',Open dimension is 75’’ x 26’’x 14’’.
- Quick Assembly :No tool needed,easy opening and closing, the roll away bed can be assembled in several minutes
- Applicable:Suitable for an unexpected guest and office nap, can be moved easily from one place to another
- Chic upholstered bed available in grey linen or Black faux Leather
- It features a headboard for added comfort and Back support
- Sturdy wood and metal frame Construction with centre legs for extra support
- Requires foundation
- Assembles quickly and ships in one box