Bunk beds are cool and a great way to save space when you need to room two or more kids in one bedroom. Of course, you can’t just buy the coolest-looking bunk bed you can find in Target. Certainly not the cheapest. Kids can get picky. And you definitely want to get the bunk bed that suits your requirements and your children’s needs to a T. But with so many shapes and sizes to choose from, finding the right one can be frustrating. This short but insightful guide should help walk you through the entire buying process, enabling you to get the bunk bed of your kids’ dreams without breaking a sweat.
#1: Consider the size of the room.
Before you start looking at styles, materials, and safety measures, you first need to take the time to consider how much space you have available for your bunk bed. Look at your kids’ room and consider where you can best place the bunk bed. You don’t want the bunk bed to block any doors, windows, or closets. Another thing you should take into account is the height of the room. There should be ample room in between the top of the bunk bed and the ceiling, so that top sleeper can comfortably sit up without hitting his/her head on the ceiling. Ideally, this space should measure a minimum of 30 inches.
#2: Choose the right material.
Bunk beds can be made of wood or metal. In terms of durability, metal is probably best. It’s a material that’s resistant to anything and will most likely survive the chaos of kids. Plus, metal bunk beds are easier to clean and can withstand many movings. However, metal is cold to the touch which might not be comfortable during winter.
Wooden bunk beds are also quite sturdy, especially if they are made of solid wood. Avoid those that are made of particle boards or processed wood because they don’t offer the same longevity. Aside from stability, wood creates a more cozy appearance. However, quality wooden bunk beds can be expensive.
#3: Check the safety precautions.
There are an average of 36,000 bunk bed-related injuries reported every year in the US. Don’t let your kids be part of that statistic by making sure your bunk bed complies with federal safety standards. Guardrails should be at least 5 inches higher than the top of the mattress, so kids won’t roll off the bed. In addition, gaps between the rails should measure 3.5 inches or smaller to avoid kids from getting their head stuck in between. Check www.recalls.gov to see which models have been recalled.
#4: Choose the right bunk bed size.
Bunk beds come in a variety of sizes. The right size for your kid’s bedroom will depend not only on the size of the room but also on age and height of your child.
Twin over Twin: one twin bed on top of another twin bed. Perfect for twins or siblings that are near in age.
Twin over Full Bunk Bed: One twin bed over a full-sized bed. This is ideal for an older kid who is sharing the room with a much younger sibling.
Twin Loft: A twin bed on top with ample room below for storage or a study space. This is the perfect choice if you need to make the most of the space in a bedroom.
#5: Stairs or Ladders?
Stairs are a safer option for smaller children in terms of safety. Little kids are also more confident using them. You can also use the steps as extra storage space. However, stairs take up a lot of floor space. Ladders, on the other hand, are better suited for older kids.
10 Bunk Beds Best Rated by Verified Reviews
- Ultimate space saver, ideal for small bedrooms as it fits three standard twin size mattresses (sold separately). Trundle includes four (4) easy-glide casters – 2 locking and 2 non-locking
- Includes 11.5-inch full-length guardrails on the top bunk, secured metal slats and a built-in ladder to climb up and down. Maximum mattress height for top bunk and trundle is 6 inches
- Ships in one box and it’s easy to assemble. Available in Grey, White and Black
- Bunk bed dimensions: 77.5"L x 41.5"W x 62"H. Trundle dimensions: 71"L x 40.5"W x 3.5"H. Weight limit top bunk: 200 lb. Weight limit bottom bunk: 250 lb. Weight limit trundle: 250 lb.
- Shipping dimensions: 87"L x 17"W x 7"H. Net weight: 99 lb. Gross weight: 107 lb.
- Space saving functionality. Built in study area with multiple shelves on each side for storage. Perfect addition to any kid or teen's room (or even dorm room)
- Silver and black metal finish
- Safety rails and multiple metal slats for safety, support and durability
- Bed accommodates a twin size mattress (75 inches x 39 inches) – sold separately. Maximum upper mattress thickness of 6 inches
- Easy assembly required. Does not require additional foundation. Weight limit 200 pounds
- Dimensions: 48” H x 44” D x 78” L; Twin beds support up to 200 pounds each
- Made from responsibly-sourced solid pine wood
- No box spring required, Bunkie board recommended; 5”- 9” mattress thickness recommended
- Integrated guardrails and ladder included
- Combine with Alexander Twin over Low Loft Bunk Bed to make a triple bunk bed
- Solid square tube frame: The square are more durable&Solid than the round in structure. Don't worry about if the frame will be broken, the maximum bearing capacity can reach 800 lbs!
- Removable stairs: In order to better adapt to your room, the ladder is removable, you can assemble it on either side.
- Noise Free: The plastic buckle design can fixed the slats firmly to prevent the noise from moving slats, which can helps you sleep over night.
- Space saving: Ideal solutions to free up space, 12" under bed clearance provide extra storage space, you can put any sundries under the bed, which is friendly for small space
- NOTICE: We suggest Two People to install it and we will provide the Nail to Fixed The Bed to The Wall Firmly.
3 Excellent Bunk Beds Spotted By PriceMeter
- Combining unparalleled quality & timeless design for your child’s bedroom & made from high-quality solid rubberwood & composites, the Caribou Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed features unique fastening systems, a sturdy 4-step ladder & full length guardrails.
- Made from rubberwood, a naturally much denser, sturdier and more durable than the commonly used pine wood, this bunk bed can also be configured into two separate twin beds for the ultimate versatility. Its understated charm will last for years to come.
- This stylish bunk bed fits standard sized twin mattresses (sold separately) & includes a full sized slat roll mattress support. A sturdy ladder & guardrails provide maximum safety, & it easily converts into 2 separate twin beds for added versatility
- COMPLETE BEDROOM SOLUTION: Storkcraft manufactures products for the total infant, kid’s, or teen bedroom solution, including changing tables, dressers, glider rocker chairs, mattresses, beds, and bunk beds from brands like Graco, Thomasville, or Broyhill.
- Please note: Our bunk beds arrive in multiple boxes, which may be delivered in separate shipments; Maximum weight for top bunk bed is 165 lbs
- Dimensions: 65" H x 79" L x 42" W
- Made of solid pine wood in a painted finish for a reliable construction
- Bunks can be separated into two twin beds
- No box spring needed. 8"-9" mattress thickness recommended
- Each bed supports up to 250 lbs.'