Bunk beds are cool and a great way to save space when you need to room two or more kids in one bedroom. Of course, you can’t just buy the coolest-looking bunk bed you can find in Target. Certainly not the cheapest. Kids can get picky. And you definitely want to get the bunk bed that suits your requirements and your children’s needs to a T. But with so many shapes and sizes to choose from, finding the right one can be frustrating. This short but insightful guide should help walk you through the entire buying process, enabling you to get the bunk bed of your kids’ dreams without breaking a sweat.
#1: Consider the size of the room.
Before you start looking at styles, materials, and safety measures, you first need to take the time to consider how much space you have available for your bunk bed. Look at your kids’ room and consider where you can best place the bunk bed. You don’t want the bunk bed to block any doors, windows, or closets. Another thing you should take into account is the height of the room. There should be ample room in between the top of the bunk bed and the ceiling, so that top sleeper can comfortably sit up without hitting his/her head on the ceiling. Ideally, this space should measure a minimum of 30 inches.
#2: Choose the right material.
Bunk beds can be made of wood or metal. In terms of durability, metal is probably best. It’s a material that’s resistant to anything and will most likely survive the chaos of kids. Plus, metal bunk beds are easier to clean and can withstand many movings. However, metal is cold to the touch which might not be comfortable during winter.
Wooden bunk beds are also quite sturdy, especially if they are made of solid wood. Avoid those that are made of particle boards or processed wood because they don’t offer the same longevity. Aside from stability, wood creates a more cozy appearance. However, quality wooden bunk beds can be expensive.
#3: Check the safety precautions.
There are an average of 36,000 bunk bed-related injuries reported every year in the US. Don’t let your kids be part of that statistic by making sure your bunk bed complies with federal safety standards. Guardrails should be at least 5 inches higher than the top of the mattress, so kids won’t roll off the bed. In addition, gaps between the rails should measure 3.5 inches or smaller to avoid kids from getting their head stuck in between. Check www.recalls.gov to see which models have been recalled.
#4: Choose the right bunk bed size.
Bunk beds come in a variety of sizes. The right size for your kid’s bedroom will depend not only on the size of the room but also on age and height of your child.
Twin over Twin: one twin bed on top of another twin bed. Perfect for twins or siblings that are near in age.
Twin over Full Bunk Bed: One twin bed over a full-sized bed. This is ideal for an older kid who is sharing the room with a much younger sibling.
Twin Loft: A twin bed on top with ample room below for storage or a study space. This is the perfect choice if you need to make the most of the space in a bedroom.
#5: Stairs or Ladders?
Stairs are a safer option for smaller children in terms of safety. Little kids are also more confident using them. You can also use the steps as extra storage space. However, stairs take up a lot of floor space. Ladders, on the other hand, are better suited for older kids.
10 Bunk Beds Best Rated by Verified Reviews
- Dimensions: 48” H x 44” D x 78” L, Twin beds support up to 200 Ibs. each
- Made from responsibly-sourced solid pine wood
- No box spring required, Bunkie board recommended; 5”- 9” mattress thickness recommended
- Integrated guardrails and ladder included
- Combine with Alexander Twin over Low Loft Bunk Bed to make a triple bunk bed
- SMALL SPACE APPROVED | Add a modern flair and a playful vibe in any room with this bunk bed that fits seamlessly in any small living spaces.
- 2-in-1 | Sleek, space-saving design that accommodates 1 twin mattress and 1 full mattress (sold separately).
- DURABLE METAL FRAME | Sturdy and durable metal frame provides proper seating support and comfort. Ladder is slanted for added safety.
- EASY TO HANDLE |Ships in one convenient box and is simple to assemble.
- WEIGHT LIMITS |Upper bunk bed: 200lb. Bottom bunk bed: 450lb.
- Dimensions: 68” H x 43” D x 79” L, Loft: 54.5” H x 38.25” D x 79” L
- Twin bed supports up to 200 Ibs.
- Fits most twin beds, 5”- 9” mattress thickness recommended
- Integrated guardrails and ladder included
- Ships ready-to-assemble with step-by-step instructions
- Your purchase includes One DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder, in Pink color | Accommodates one twin and one full size mattress (not included/max thickness: 6”)
- Assembled dimensions – 78" W x 61.5" H x 60" D | Assembled weight – 74 lbs. | Max weight limit (Top) – 200 lbs. | Max weight limit (Lower) – 225 lbs. | Slats distance – 2.5” | Min. ceiling height – 7'
- Front ladder attaches to the bed and is slanted for added safety
- Add a modern flair and a playful vibe in any room with this bunk bed that fits seamlessly in any small living spaces
- Accommodating two twin mattresses, the metal frame will last through years of rough play, whether hosting twins, friends, family or siblings
3 Excellent Bunk Beds Spotted By PriceMeter
- Your purchase includes 1 DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder, in Black color; Accommodates 1 twin and 1 full size mattress (max thickness: 6”)
- Assembled dimensions – 57" W x 61.5" H x 78" L; Assembled weight – 84.5 lbs.; Max weight limit (Upper bunk) – 200 lbs.; Max weight limit (Lower bunk) – 450 lbs.; Slats distance – 2.5”; Min. ceiling height – 7'
- Sturdy metal frame with steel construction
- This modern, stylish bunk bed features a Twin top bunk over a Full bottom and looks great in any bedroom or guest room arrangement
- 2 integrated side ladders come included to provide versatility and metal slats on the top and bottom beds offer the right amount of support, comfort, and durability
- Secured metal slats offer optimal support and mattress breathability while removing the need for any additional box spring or foundation
- Space saving sleeping solution. Compact silhouette with an industrial design.
- Made with a sturdy metal construction. Includes secured metal slats, 12.5-inch full-length guardrails and a ladder integrated to the frame.
- Accommodates two standard twin size mattresses (sold separately). Maximum mattress height for top bunk is 6 inches. Available in multiple colors.
- Twin-twin bed dimensions: 73.5”L x 41.5”W x 54”H. Lower bunk weight limit: 250 lb. Upper bunk weight limit: 200 lb.
- Ships in one easy to handle box and it is simple to assemble. Shipping dimensions: 82”L x 17”W x 5”H. Product weight: 78 lb. Shipping weight: 88 lb.