Back in the day, armoires were originally designed to store a wide variety of large items, from weapons and armor (hence, the name) to rugs and tapestries. While we no longer have a need to store these items, most of us are in dire need of more closet space. Especially in the bedroom. Of course, the natural solution would be to get another closet. But what if you’re renting or you don’t have time to have construction done in your room? Fortunately, there’s one solution that would appeal to you – an armoire. Unlike ordinary closets, this piece of furniture serves as a storage space as well as a decorative piece. If you’re thinking about getting one for your bedroom, we’ve got all the information you need to know about choosing the best one.
What’s the difference between an armoire, a wardrobe, and a chifferobe?
These three terms may have been used interchangeably in your hearing. But despite the similarities in some features as well as in function, there are subtle differences that you should take note. A wardrobe is a catch-all for free-standing closets that feature a hanging area and drawers and/or shelves. Both an armoire and a chifferobe are considered types of wardrobes.
An armoire is a free-standing wooden storage unit that usually features an ornate appearance. It would feature a hanging bar as well as shelves hidden behind one or two doors. A chifferobe, on the other hand, is a type of wardrobe that features a long hanging space and a chest of drawers. This piece of furniture is often smaller compared to an armoire.
How to choose the best armoire for your bedroom:
Step 1: Determine how much space you have available.
Like any piece of furniture in your bedroom, you’ll need to make sure that the armoire you choose will fit in the designated space. In addition to that, make sure that you also measure all your doorways and/or stairways that the armoire will need to pass through in order to get into the bedroom. Even if the space in your room is sufficient, you won’t be able to enjoy the armoire if you can’t even get it inside.
Step 2: Decide what you will do with the armoire.
Most people buy an armoire to store stuff. While it will be gracing your inner sanctum, you’re not limited to using this piece of furniture to store your clothes. You can do that, of course, if you need more space to put away coats, shirts, pants, dresses, etc. But these days, you can utilize this storage cabinet in other ways such as a space to hold and hide your TV and audio equipment when not in use. However, some people choose to buy an armoire as a decorative accent in their room. The extra storage space is just icing on their cake. Whatever your reason may be, it’s important that you decide early what specific function your armoire will perform in your bedroom. This will help you determine the size and the various features you’ll want in your final purchase.
Some armoires feature adjustable shelving which makes it more adaptable to your needs, whatever they may be. Some will feature a shelf above your hanging rod where you can place certain accessories such as bags and hats. There are armoires that come with mirrored doors which can serve as a mirror for you as well as help make your room appear larger than it is.
Step 3: Consider the material and construction.
Wooden armoires are the most popular type you’ll find in the market. But there are also armoires made of metal and plastic. While the type of material will depend on your preference and style, you should carefully inspect the quality of the material and construction. Do the drawers open and close properly? What about the doors? Does the material feel solid or flimsy?
Wardrobes under $300
- Olean wardrobe set
- The wardrobe has 3 doors with hanging rod and plenty of shelves inside and 2 drawers for additional storage needs
- Available in espresso finish
- Made in Taiwan
- Measures 36-inch length by 22-inch width by 72-inch height
- Sold as 1 Each.
- Provides convenient storage for coats, bags and personal belongings.
- Commercial-grade laminate panels are water-, scratch- and stain-resistant.
- Shelf adjusts to customize the storage to the user's needs.
- Kings Brand Furniture – Corry Open Wardrobe Armoire Closet with 2-Drawers, White
- Keep their everyday essentials corralled in style with this Kings Brand Furniture open wardrobe armoire
- includes hanging rod makes it easy to hang dresses or shirts and a pair of lower drawers perfect for tucking away clothing and accessories.
- Clothing has never been more accessible and easier to organize.
- Finish: White. Materials: Wood; Metal Rod. Number of Drawers: 2
Wardrobes from $300 to $500
Wardrobes for $500 and Above
Wardrobes on Sale – Detected By PriceMeter
- 2 fixed shelves and 1 hanging rod; 20-inch depth accommodates hangers
- Durable, solid handles in classic brushed nickel
- Doors feature high quality, European-style 6-way adjustable hinges; MDF doors with profiled (rounded) edges add a level of sophistication
- Constructed from CARB-2 compliant, laminated composite woods with a sturdy MDF backer; Ships Ready to Assemble and includes an instruction booklet for easy assembly
- Manufactured in Canada and meets all North American safety standards; 5-year manufacturer’s limited on parts
- Material Type: Particle Board Mdf
- Included Components: Hardware 1 Hanging Rod
- Safety tested for stability to help reduce tip-over accidents
- Adjustable shelf for flexible storage options
- Garment rod included
- Framed panel doors for an extra touch of style
- Drawer with metal runners and safety stops features patented T-slot assembly system to save you time
- Add extra closet space in any room of your home
- 32 inches wide makes this an easy fit for those tight rooms that need the space the most
- Clothing bar stretches across the entire interior width of the armoire
- Two drawers with support, great for stackable clothing
- Drawers sit on metal rollers for smooth opening & closing