Back in the day, armoires were originally designed to store a wide variety of large items, from weapons and armor (hence, the name) to rugs and tapestries. While we no longer have a need to store these items, most of us are in dire need of more closet space. Especially in the bedroom. Of course, the natural solution would be to get another closet. But what if you’re renting or you don’t have time to have construction done in your room? Fortunately, there’s one solution that would appeal to you – an armoire. Unlike ordinary closets, this piece of furniture serves as a storage space as well as a decorative piece. If you’re thinking about getting one for your bedroom, we’ve got all the information you need to know about choosing the best one.
What’s the difference between an armoire, a wardrobe, and a chifferobe?
These three terms may have been used interchangeably in your hearing. But despite the similarities in some features as well as in function, there are subtle differences that you should take note. A wardrobe is a catch-all for free-standing closets that feature a hanging area and drawers and/or shelves. Both an armoire and a chifferobe are considered types of wardrobes.
An armoire is a free-standing wooden storage unit that usually features an ornate appearance. It would feature a hanging bar as well as shelves hidden behind one or two doors. A chifferobe, on the other hand, is a type of wardrobe that features a long hanging space and a chest of drawers. This piece of furniture is often smaller compared to an armoire.
How to choose the best armoire for your bedroom:
Step 1: Determine how much space you have available.
Like any piece of furniture in your bedroom, you’ll need to make sure that the armoire you choose will fit in the designated space. In addition to that, make sure that you also measure all your doorways and/or stairways that the armoire will need to pass through in order to get into the bedroom. Even if the space in your room is sufficient, you won’t be able to enjoy the armoire if you can’t even get it inside.
Step 2: Decide what you will do with the armoire.
Most people buy an armoire to store stuff. While it will be gracing your inner sanctum, you’re not limited to using this piece of furniture to store your clothes. You can do that, of course, if you need more space to put away coats, shirts, pants, dresses, etc. But these days, you can utilize this storage cabinet in other ways such as a space to hold and hide your TV and audio equipment when not in use. However, some people choose to buy an armoire as a decorative accent in their room. The extra storage space is just icing on their cake. Whatever your reason may be, it’s important that you decide early what specific function your armoire will perform in your bedroom. This will help you determine the size and the various features you’ll want in your final purchase.
Some armoires feature adjustable shelving which makes it more adaptable to your needs, whatever they may be. Some will feature a shelf above your hanging rod where you can place certain accessories such as bags and hats. There are armoires that come with mirrored doors which can serve as a mirror for you as well as help make your room appear larger than it is.
Step 3: Consider the material and construction.
Wooden armoires are the most popular type you’ll find in the market. But there are also armoires made of metal and plastic. While the type of material will depend on your preference and style, you should carefully inspect the quality of the material and construction. Do the drawers open and close properly? What about the doors? Does the material feel solid or flimsy?
Wardrobes under $300
- Provides convenient storage for coats, bags and personal belongings
- Commercial-grade laminate panels are water-, scratch- and stain-resistant
- Shelf can be adjusted to customize the user's storage needs
Wardrobes from $300 to $500
Wardrobes for $500 and Above
- NOTE: No shelves included. All small and large shelves are sold separately.
- NOTE: Actual color might vary. Samples are mailed out for color matching upon request.
- Optional small shelves sold in sets of 4. Optional large shelves sold individually.
- 100% solid pine wood
- Ships knocked down in three boxes. Requires assembly.
- Keep Your Wear in a Stylish Place with the Gramercy 2-Section Wardrobe Closet by Manhattan Comfort, Featuring an Attractive Modern Look and Functional Storage in a Gorgeous White Color.
- Measures 55.2" inches L x 22.76" inches W x 81.3" inches H and Weighs 234.74 lbs. Ready to Assemble.
- Made of Durable MDF.
- Beautiful Modern Look with a Minimalist Finish Long Gleaming Aluminum Handles. Comes with Spacious Shelves, Two Drawers, and Hanging Rods.
- Features Soft-Close Door Hinges and Glides on Drawers. Perfect for the Bedroom.