Back in the day, armoires were originally designed to store a wide variety of large items, from weapons and armor (hence, the name) to rugs and tapestries. While we no longer have a need to store these items, most of us are in dire need of more closet space. Especially in the bedroom. Of course, the natural solution would be to get another closet. But what if you’re renting or you don’t have time to have construction done in your room? Fortunately, there’s one solution that would appeal to you – an armoire. Unlike ordinary closets, this piece of furniture serves as a storage space as well as a decorative piece. If you’re thinking about getting one for your bedroom, we’ve got all the information you need to know about choosing the best one.
What’s the difference between an armoire, a wardrobe, and a chifferobe?
These three terms may have been used interchangeably in your hearing. But despite the similarities in some features as well as in function, there are subtle differences that you should take note. A wardrobe is a catch-all for free-standing closets that feature a hanging area and drawers and/or shelves. Both an armoire and a chifferobe are considered types of wardrobes.
An armoire is a free-standing wooden storage unit that usually features an ornate appearance. It would feature a hanging bar as well as shelves hidden behind one or two doors. A chifferobe, on the other hand, is a type of wardrobe that features a long hanging space and a chest of drawers. This piece of furniture is often smaller compared to an armoire.
How to choose the best armoire for your bedroom:
Step 1: Determine how much space you have available.
Like any piece of furniture in your bedroom, you’ll need to make sure that the armoire you choose will fit in the designated space. In addition to that, make sure that you also measure all your doorways and/or stairways that the armoire will need to pass through in order to get into the bedroom. Even if the space in your room is sufficient, you won’t be able to enjoy the armoire if you can’t even get it inside.
Step 2: Decide what you will do with the armoire.
Most people buy an armoire to store stuff. While it will be gracing your inner sanctum, you’re not limited to using this piece of furniture to store your clothes. You can do that, of course, if you need more space to put away coats, shirts, pants, dresses, etc. But these days, you can utilize this storage cabinet in other ways such as a space to hold and hide your TV and audio equipment when not in use. However, some people choose to buy an armoire as a decorative accent in their room. The extra storage space is just icing on their cake. Whatever your reason may be, it’s important that you decide early what specific function your armoire will perform in your bedroom. This will help you determine the size and the various features you’ll want in your final purchase.
Some armoires feature adjustable shelving which makes it more adaptable to your needs, whatever they may be. Some will feature a shelf above your hanging rod where you can place certain accessories such as bags and hats. There are armoires that come with mirrored doors which can serve as a mirror for you as well as help make your room appear larger than it is.
Step 3: Consider the material and construction.
Wooden armoires are the most popular type you’ll find in the market. But there are also armoires made of metal and plastic. While the type of material will depend on your preference and style, you should carefully inspect the quality of the material and construction. Do the drawers open and close properly? What about the doors? Does the material feel solid or flimsy?
Wardrobes under $300
- Sold as 1 Each.
- Provides convenient storage for coats, bags and personal belongings.
- Commercial-grade laminate panels are water-, scratch- and stain-resistant.
- Shelf adjusts to customize the storage to the user's needs.
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Framed door and drawers with streamlined edges give this wardrobe a transitional style, making it suitable for kids or adults bedrooms, or any other room in your home.
- GENEROUS STORAGE: Combining adjustable storage shelves and large drawers with metal slides, the wardrobe is ideal for storing clothing, sweaters, linen, toys and more.
- FULL LENGTH HANGING: Behind the wardrobe door is a metal rod supplying a convenient full length hanging space ideal for longer clothing items, and 2 hooks for scarves, ties and neckwear.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Made in North America with non-toxic laminated particleboard, this piece of furniture meets or exceeds all North American safety standards.
- 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Shop with confidence knowing that we proudly stand behind this piece of furniture with a full 5-year limited warranty. Assembly is required.
- Ships in several boxes, may ship separately
- SLEEK, MODERN DESIGN unifies elegance and style with functionality and use
- STURDY, REINFORCED BUILD ensures durability
- ADJUSTABLE MIDDLE SHELF can be removed to enhance spaciousness or rearranged to meet your storage needs.
- GOLD TONED PULL HANDLES & SOFT CLOSE HINGES for style and quiet access
- DIMMENSIONS: 31.5” L x 15.7” W x 70” H
Wardrobes from $300 to $500
Wardrobes for $500 and Above
Wardrobes on Sale – Detected By PriceMeter
- Safety tested for stability to help reduce tip-over accidents
- Adjustable shelf for flexible storage options
- Garment rod included
- Framed panel doors for an extra touch of style
- Drawer with metal runners and safety stops features patented T-slot assembly system to save you time
- Drawers run on smooth, all-metal roller glides with built-in safety stops
- Solid brushed nickel knobs
- Constructed from high quality laminated composite woods
- Assembly Required
- Dimensions: 31.5"W x 58.75"H x 22"D. Internal Dimensions: (W x H x D): 28 x 38 x 20.75 inches ;24.75W x 5H x 12.5D inches (drawers)