Antique china cabinets are a great way to showcase the heirloom chinaware and crystal that you got from your great-great grandmother. It enables you to get those precious dishes out of long term storage and into a place where they can easily be admired by one and all. Of course, getting an antique china cabinet that would look great with your current decor (and not stand out like a sore thumb) isn’t going to be easy. There are plenty of cabinets available. You’ll soon find out that china cabinets and curio cabinets aren’t actually the same thing. Plus, there are key differences that you should take note of before you make your final choice. Below are some tips that will help you find the right antique china cabinet for your home.
How is it different from a curio cabinet?
One might think that all cabinets that enable you to showcase your valuable china and/or collectibles can be called a china cabinet. However, that would be wrong. Typically, a china cabinet will feature glass windows in the front with enclosed sides. This is because you only intend to show off the front view of your china, not the sides or the back. Cabinets that feature glass on all sides along with a mirror backing are called curio cabinets. These are used to display collectibles such as figurines. The glass sides enable you to view these collectibles from all angles.
Features of a china cabinet:
Obviously, a china cabinet will feature shelves for storing your precious china and doors to keep them safe inside the cabinet. But, as we’ve already mentioned, these cabinets come in a variety of styles and may include certain features. Knowing what features are available can help you make a more informed choice on what piece of furniture best suits your needs.
- Adjustable Shelving
Some collectors own plates of differing sizes. To enable you to display them in a more organized manner, some china cabinets come with adjustable shelving.
- Interior Lighting
This is a great feature if you want to highlight your collection day and night. With interior lighting, you and your visitors are able to clearly see every detail in each piece of your collection.
- Plate Grooves
Some china cabinets come with plate grooves which are machined grooves that are typically found near the back edge of the shelves. These are designed to hold your dishes at an angle, in a vertical position. If you have antique or vintage china in your collection that needs to be shown off in all of its glory, you’ll need to include this feature in your search.
- Mirrored Backing
A mirror placed on the back of the china cabinet is usually something that you’ll find on a curio cabinet. However, some china cabinets incorporate this feature, enabling you to see your valuable collection from a different angle. When combined with interior lighting, it can create a more dramatic effect. It can even make your dining room look larger.
Obviously, you’ll want a cabinet with doors. How else will you ensure that they’re safe from little hands or paws? However, china cabinets can feature different kinds of doors. There’s the regular kind which feature hinged panels that open outward, from the front of the cabinet. There are side entry doors which open from the side. The main benefit to choosing this type of door is that it provides an unhindered view of your entire collection. You can also find antique china cabinets with sliding doors. These can either slide open one way (to the left or right) or can slide both ways.
When you have little hands that are curious about everything, locks on your china cabinet are a necessity. Depending on the size of your cabinet and the number of doors, you may be able to lock different sections of your cabinet separately.
How to choose the antique china cabinet for your home:
Before you go on your search for the perfect antique cabinet, you need to determine what you will use it for. Are you storing various china sets in your cabinet? Does your dinner set come with bowls, pitchers, and flatware? Will you also include tea sets in your cabinet? Do you plan on adding to your collection in the future?
The answers to these questions can help you determine how large your cabinet should be, whether you need mirrored backing, plate grooves, and/or adjustable shelves. Aside from the amount of space you’ll need to store your collection, you also need to consider the available space in your dining room. Do some measurements to make sure that your new cabinet will fit right where you plan to put it.
Corner China Cabinets on Sale! – Spotted by PriceMeter
- Black finish with brushed nickel hardware; Includes 4 adjustable glass shelves plus 2 fixed shelves; Stacked dual cabinets
- Materials: pine, MDF, birch veneer, 5mm tempered glass, 3mm mirror, nickel hardware; Supports up to: 60 lb. (total), 10 lb. (per shelf); Approx. weight: 86 lb; Fixed shelves: 17.75" W x 12.75" D x 9.25" H (upper), 17.75" W x 12.75" D x 10.75" H (base)
- Overall: 21.25" W x 15.5" D x 70" H; Cabinets: 17.75" W x 12.75" D x 37.5" H (upper), 17.75" W x 12.75" D x 21.75" H (base); Glass shelves: 17.75" W x 12.75" D x 9.25" H/11" H (upper/base; adjust 2.5" up/down); Clearance: 8.75" W x 14.5" D x 3" H
- Space saving, lighted corner design curio with mirrored back; Durable tempered glass front
- Includes one 25-Watt, type F light bulb, one medium (E27) base bulb; 9ft power cord; Anti-tipping hardware for maximum stability
- Number Of Shelves: 4.0
- Clean-lined, sleek appeal meets understated style with this essential curio cabinet, the perfect piece for your well-curated and eclectic display space.
- Featuring a corner-fitting design, this curio cabinet creates display space in any environment, while the warm finished manufactured wood frame adds a dash of earthy appeal to the room
- Station this cabinet in a corner of your dining room to arrange cherished family heirlooms and china on its four tempered glass adjustable shelves
- A top mounted light with mirrored back panels illuminates and reflects your displays. Four glass doors provide a secure and dust-free interior.
- Assembly required with instructions included. One Light Bulb INCLUDED. Dimensions: 72"H x 26"W x 13"D. Glass shelf thickness: 0.19". Shelf Weight Capacity: 15 lbs each